A comittee of parents have started working towards improving the playground behind Willowgrove School. We met with the City of Saskatoon in March, and will continue to do so, as we partner to make the playground bigger and better for the community.
Our next meeting is Monday, April 28th at 7pm at the playground in Wallace park behind the new school. Park designer Barb Giocoli will attend from the City of Saskatoon. She designed the current playground in Wallace Park, and will have information about options for expanding the playground.
Parents on the committee have started researching design options with various manufacturers. Others are looking into grants that will be available. We will also be planning fundraisers and community engagement activities. Family and community members are invited to join the group. Please contact Shane Armstrong for more information, or attend the next meeting.
- Boys and Girls Club was selected to be the operator of the before and after school program. In the event that the school is not open in September, students will be able to use the program offered by the YMCA at Forest Grove and Egnatoff until we move into the new building. More details about registration will be shared in June.
- Three student planning meetings will take place before the Easter break. Silverspring – Friday, April 11th. Forest Grove – Tuesday, April 15th. Egnatoff – Wednesday, April 16th. Students currently in grades 3 – 7 who have registered for Willowgrove School or live in the area will be invited to bring their lunch to the LRC at noon. We will present some features of the school, and give students a chance to give input into things like extra-curricular activities, leadership roles they want to be part of, school routines and procedures etc. This is a completely optional meeting and students are not required to attend!
- We will be having our first School Community Council organizational meeting on Thursday, May 1st at 7pm in the LRC at Dr. J.G. Egnatoff School. We will also discuss starting a “Willowgrove Home and School” at the meeting. Nomination forms for the SCC are available from the main office at Egnatoff, Silverspring, and Forest Grove as well as on the Willowgrove School web site.
Please be in touch with Principal Shane Armstrong if you have any questions or concerns.
Please check the Willowgrove School web site for updates and information about upcoming parent meetings and announcements.
On March 6th parents selected Preston Early Learning to operate the Willowgrove preschool. Preston Early Learning is looking at alternate spaces in the community to run the preschool in the event Willowgrove School is not open. A specific start date and registration timeline have not been set, but information will be shared with the community in the near future. For more information please contact Lisa Leibel – Director of Preston Early Learning at email@example.com or 306-683-3439 and Willowgrove principal Shane Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-683-7971.
Parents are invited to attend a meeting where we will select our before and after school care provider. The meeting will take place on Monday, March 31st at Dr. J.G. Egnatoff School in the LRC from 7pm – 9pm. Childcare will be available for this meeting.
Our next meeting about improving the community playground is Monday, April 7th at 7pm. Location still to be determined. We will discuss partnering with the City of Saskatoon and the Community Association to make this happen.
We are planning to start our School Community Council this spring. Our first ever Annual General Meeting will take place on Thursday, May 1st and our membership will be selected. More information about location, nomination process and meeting agenda will be posted on the Willowgrove School web site.
Preston Early Learning has been chosen to be the preschool provider for Willowgrove and Holy Family School. Please contact Lisa (306-290-9095 or email@example.com)for registration or further information.
(From the Principals & City Traffic Engineer)
- The school zone will include the intersections of Stensrud Rd and Willowgrove Cres, Stensrud Rd to just south of Willowgrove Square Willowgrove Blvd and Maquire Cres.
- There will be bus loading zones along Stensrud Rd in front of the schools.
- There will be no parking signs around all exits and entrances to the school drop off areas and parking lots.
- No stopping signs will be posted around the crosswalk at Stensrud and Willowgrove Blvd.
- There are no plans at this time or in the near future for raised speed bumps on Stensrud or Willowgrove Blvd. These roadways are emergency routes for Fire/Police/Ambulance vehicles and therefore speed bumps are not permitted.
- A pedestrian actuated crossing light will be installed at the intersection of Stensrud and Willowgrove Boulevard.
- 5 min parking signs will be posted along school property on Willowgrove Blvd, the majority of Willowgrove Blvd will be unrestricted parking.
- No parking restrictions are allowed on the East side of Stensrud.
- Changes to signage are possible once schools are operational if needed. All signage will be installed prior to September but after June, so as to be ready for the new school year. Signage will be placed regardless of school opening in September to allow time for drivers to adjust. Principals to contact City Police to arrange for the possibility of a speed trailer after school zone signage has been posted.
Additional signage or crossing lights can be installed at the Willowgrove Boulevard/Maguire intersection. More information is needed to determine which path is the most common route for crossing Willowgrove Boulevard.
Please contact Shane Armstrong (Principal, Willowgrove School), Connie Tenaski (Principal, Holy Family School) or Shirley Ann Matt (Traffic Management Engineer) 975-3145 for clarification or further information.
Willowgrove: K-3 will be at Forest Grove and 4-8 at Egnatoff.
See the following link for more info.
Willowgrove Contingency Plan
Holy family: K-3 St. Volodymyr and 4-8 Father Robinson.
See the following link for more info.
Holy Family Contingency FAQs
If you missed the Feb 10 & 12 Willowgrove School parent meetings, check out the school website for updates and a summary of the meeting topics & feedback.
Planning continues to prepare Willowgrove School for a September, 2014 opening. The preschool committee is working to start a preschool program in the fall, and is working with current preschool operators to select an organization that will run the program. As more information comes available, such as upcoming planning meetings, details will be posted on the Willowgrove School web page: http://www.spsd.sk.ca/school/willowgrove/Pages/default.aspx A tentative March meeting has been set for Thursday, March 6th at 7pm in the library at Dr. J.G. Egnatoff School. We had a great turn out for our Kindergarten Information evening on January 23rd, and families had the chance to meet our new Kindergarten teacher Nicole Lemstra. She truly has a passion for early learning and supporting our youngest students. We already have almost 60 Kindergarten registrations for the fall! Our teacher Librarian Laurie Hnatiuk has begun ordering books for our library, and will continue to purchase resources throughout the spring. She has a strong technology background and uses technology to help students develop their critical thinking and creativity. Rita Wall has been appointed as our Adminstrative Assistant. She comes to us from Brownell School, and will begin working in the Willowgrove office some time in February. Staffing for other teaching positions at Willowgrove School is in the works, and hopefully in the coming weeks more staff will be appointed.
Two more parent consultation meetings have been planned for the month of February. The dates are Monday, February 10th and Wednesday, February 12th in the library at Forest Grove School from 7pm – 8:30pm. The agenda will be the same both evenings, and we will have childcare both nights. We are looking to get parent feedback about various aspects of the school such as safety, school culture, programming, and before and after school care. A more detailed agenda will be provided closer to the meeting dates.
If you have any questions, please contact Shane Armstrong at WillowgroveSchool@spsd.sk.ca or by phone at 306-683-7971.
Are you interested in having a preschool in Willowgrove School? Saskatoon Public Schools recognizes the value of preschool programs, and would like to invite interested parents to an initial preschool planning meeting. The meeting will be on Tuesday, December 10th from 7pm-8pm in the Centennial Collegiate Library.
Willowgrove School is also holding a Kindergarten information evening on Thursday, January 23rd from 7pm-8pm in the Centennial Collegiate Band room. At this meeting we will introduce our new kindergarten teacher, provide information about our kindergarten program, and consult with parents about topics such as schedule options. If you have any questions please contact Shane Armstrong by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by cell phone at 306-716-2594.